Friday, April 30, 2010

Change of Mind: "The Perfect Human"

This film was one of the weirdest films I have ever seen. I usually do not experience art that does not literally speak to me right away, as this one does. Jorgen Leth has created something that I still have trouble describing. When I first saw the film, I was fascinated by what the narrator was going to show the audience next because I enjoyed watching the actor and actress act whatever the narrator said on the screen. I also wondered why the narrator chose to pick the actions that he did. Soon, I realized that the narrator was trying to give perspective on the abilities that the human body can do. Leth was trying to show what we take advantage of daily by putting an emphasis on each individual action, even sometimes repeating them.

This film changed the way I saw simplicity in the movies. These days, most movies that come out are all filled with CGI, special effects, and computers. The balance between actual acting and computer technology has been leaning towards the computer technology. This movie, "The Perfect Human," allowed me to appreciate actual acting. There were no special effects in this movie, but its appeal and effect were as large as a movie that has them. This is due to the acting. Simple acting allowed me to appreciate what Leth was trying to tell the viewer. Whatever his actual reason was, I was able to interpret it to my own desire with the aid of the simple and articulate acting of the actors. I very much enjoyed this thought provoking film, and have started to research older movies, ones that had less of an emphasis on CGI and more of an emphasis on pure, great acting.

No comments:

Post a Comment